Back to Top
Items 1→50 of 101. Page 1 of 3.
- AIR CHANGE look up translate image
- Measures how quickly the air in an interior space is replaced by outside or conditioned air by ventilation and infiltration. This is calculated by determining the number of times a home's air changes over with outside air.
- AIR CONDITIONER look up translate image
- A device that decreases the temperature and humidity of air which moves through it via the refrigeration cycle.
- AIR COOLER look up translate image
- Another term for an evaporative or swamp cooler. This type of device uses simple evaporation of water to cool the air.
- AIR DELIVERY look up translate image
- Measures how much air is pumped out of a device in volume of air per time, either in cubic feet per minute or cubic feet per hour.
- AIR FLOW look up translate image
- Measures the flow of air, often in CFMs. This should be carefully balanced to ensure maximum cooling efficiency and optimal operation.
- AIR MOVER look up translate image
- A type of fan often used in commercial and industrial settings for the purposes of air and gas movement; also useful for cooling or drying applications.
- AIR THROW RATE look up translate image
- The average speed of air when it leaves the air cooler outlet or opening.
- AMBIENT TEMPERATURE look up translate image
- Also referred to as room temperature. This is a common term used to describe a certain temperature within an enclosed space at which human beings are accustomed.
- ATTIC FAN look up translate image
- A type of ventilation fan that regulates the heat level of a building's attic by exhausting hot air.
- AXIAL FAN look up translate image
- Fans with blades that force air to move parallel to the shaft about which the blades rotate; used in a variety of applications such most household and industrial fans.
- BALANCING KIT look up translate image
- A kit that includes a plastic clip and lead weights used to balance a ceiling fan.
- BALL look up translate image
- Found in a ceiling fan; mounts to the mounting bracket and slides tightly into the slot located on the bracket.
- BATHROOM FAN look up translate image
- A type of fan designed to be out of sight and anchored in a bathroom ceiling between joists; exhausted outside and used to provide ventilation, to control odors, and to remove moisture.
- BLADE ARM look up translate image
- The metal bracket which attaches the blade to the motor.
- BLADE PITCH look up translate image
- Measured in degrees and is the angle between the blade of a ceiling fan and the horizon; higher degree of blade pitch results in a higher amount of air movement.
- BLADES look up translate image
- The flat panels in a fan that move through the air and create airflow; can be constructed out of wood, metal, or plastic.
- BLOWER look up translate image
- An air handling device that moves air in a distribution system.
- BLOWER CONTROL look up translate image
- Used to describe the speed at which a blower fan rotates. Sometimes used to describe swamp coolers, higher blower control ratings equal greater cooling effects.
- BOX FAN look up translate image
- Device used to circulate air in order to keep it cool or to eliminate odors; consists of rotating blades encased in a square covering and remains low to the ground.
- BTU look up translate image
- An acronym for "British Thermal Units" and a unit of energy used in the power and heating and cooling industries. In terms of air conditioners, this describes a unit's power and cooling capacity. The higher the BTU rating, the stronger the air conditioner.
- CANOPY look up translate image
- The decorative cover which encloses a ceiling fan's mounting bracket.
- CAPACITOR look up translate image
- A device that provides extra power to a fan's motor for needed power used to turn fan blades.
- CAPACITY look up translate image
- The output or producing capability of a heating or cooling system; usually referred to in BTUs.
- CARBON FILTER look up translate image
- A filter that uses a piece of activated carbon to remove odors, contaminants, and impurities; sometimes used in portable air conditioners and swamp coolers to help filter the air.
- CASTERS look up translate image
- A type of wheel; often found on the bottom of some appliances, including many types of fans, portable air conditioners, and swamp coolers for maneuverability.
- CEILING FAN look up translate image
- A type of fan suspended from the ceiling of a room; employs hub-mounted paddles to circulate air in order to produce a cooling effect.
- CENTRAL AIR CONDITIONER look up translate image
- A type of air conditioner that works from a central location to distribute air throughout a home or building.
- CENTRAL DIFFUSING LIGHT look up translate image
- Provides diffused illumination; a larger diffuser creates a softer light.
- CENTRIFUGAL FAN look up translate image
- A type of fan that has a moving component that consists of a central shaft about which a set of blades are positioned; produces more pressure for a given volume and generally used in various industrial settings.
- CFM look up translate image
- An acronym for cubic feet per minute; can be used to measure the rate of air flow in a fan, air conditioner, or evaporative cooler.
- COLLAR COVER look up translate image
- In a ceiling fan, this refers to the decorative cover that hides the mounting hardware connecting the fan's downrod to the motor housing.
- CONDENSATE look up translate image
- The result of condensation: the change of the physical state of aggregation of matter from the gaseous phase into the liquid phase; fans like bathroom or exhaust fans can help whisk condensate out of a room.
- DAMP LOCATION look up translate image
- Fans and light fixtures that are designed for areas that are susceptible to extreme weather conditions such as excessive dampness or humidity.
- DECIBEL look up translate image
- Expressed as "dB," this is the unit used to measure the intensity of a sound, and is commonly used by many home appliances.
- DEHUMIDIFICATION look up translate image
- The process of reducing the level of humidity of the air.
- DOWNROD look up translate image
- The metal pipe that extends from the ceiling bracket to the top of a ceiling fan; most fans include a downrod that's approximately 3-5 inches long, but longer ones are available for high ceilings.
- DOWNROD THREADING look up translate image
- When the installation of longer downrods is needed, the threaded end is installed in the ball, which then allows the smooth end to make contact with the fan yoke to prevent wobbling.
- DUCT CONNECTOR look up translate image
- Connects an exhaust or bathroom fan to ductwork.
- DUCTWORK look up translate image
- Channels or pipes that carry air throughout a home or building.
- EER look up translate image
- An acronym for "Energy Efficiency Ratio." This measures how energy efficient an appliance is; the higher the EER, the more energy efficient the unit.
- ELECTRIC FAN look up translate image
- An electrically-powered device used to produce airflow for the purpose of creating a cooling effect or ventilation; comes in many different varieties.
- ENERGY STAR look up translate image
- Energy Star qualified appliances must meet strict energy efficiency guidelines set by the EPA and the U.S. Department of Energy and use at least 10% less energy than conventional models.
- EVAPORATION look up translate image
- The process by which water is converted from its liquid form to its vapor form; the basic working principle behind evaporative coolers.
- EVAPORATIVE COOLER look up translate image
- Also known as a swamp or air cooler; uses the simple process of evaporating water into the air to provide a natural and energy-efficient means of cooling; best suited for hot, dry areas with low humidity.
- EXHAUST FAN look up translate image
- A fan that extracts air or excess heat from the interior of a home and exhausts it outside; commonly used in bathrooms (see "Bathroom Fan") and can prevent excessive moisture.
- EXTENDED MOUNT look up translate image
- A type of ceiling fan mounting system where the fan is hung at the desired 8-9 feet from the floor for tall ceiling heights.
- FAN COIL look up translate image
- The indoor section of a heat pump system which is made up of a blower and refrigerant coil.
- FILTER look up translate image
- A device used to remove dust, dirt, and other particulates from the air; frequently employed by portable air conditioners and swamp coolers to improve air quality.
- FITTER look up translate image
- The metal part of a ceiling fan's light kit which attaches to the fan and contains the light socket.
- FLOOR FAN look up translate image
- A type of electric fan that is placed on the floor of a home or workplace.
|Number of terms