Back to Top
Items 1→50 of 301. Page 1 of 7.
- AB ABSURDO look up translate image
- Latin: an evidentiary suggestion or statutory interpretation that is, or leads to, an absurdity.
- ACCELERATION CLAUSE look up translate image
- A clause in a contract that states that if a payment is missed, or some other default occurs (such as the debtor becoming insolvent), then the contract is fully due immediately.
- ACCEPTANCE look up translate image
- When you accept an offer, it must be an unconditional and unequivocal acceptance to the exact terms of the offer. If not, it becomes a counteroffer.
- ACCORD AND SATISFACTION look up translate image
- The act of one party, having complied with its contractual obligation, accepting some type of compensation from the other party (usually money and of a lesser value) in lieu of enforcing the contract and holding the other party to their original obligation.
- ACCREDITATION look up translate image
- Recognition issued by a national accrediting organization to behavioral healthcare and human services providers for their compliance with the established evaluation criteria for service quality. Commonly know accrediting organizati ons include the Rehabilitation Accreditation Commission (CARF), the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO), and the Council on Accreditation (COA).
- ACQUIESCENCE look up translate image
- Action or inaction which binds a person legally even though it was not intended as such.
- ADDENDUM look up translate image
- A document used to expand or more fully explain the terms of a solicitation which is incorporated as part o f the original solicitation. This modification becomes a legal part of the solicitation. This term should not be co nfused with a contract amendment as it is not used to change the terms of a contract.
- ADHESION CONTRACT look up translate image
- A fine-print consumer form contract which is generally given to consumers at point-of-sale, with no opportunity for negotiation as to it's terms, and which, typically, sets out the terms and conditions of the sale to advantage the seller.
- ADMINISTRATIVE STANDARDS look up translate image
- Criteria for evaluating a provider's compliance with contract provisions.
- ADVANCE PAYMENTS look up translate image
- A payment situation whereby under certain circumstances it is possible to make a portion of the contract funds available to a provider prior to the delivery of services and or expenditure of funds by the provide r.
- AGENCY look up translate image
- A fiduciary relationship between one person (a principal) and another (an agent) that the agent shall act on the principal's behalf.
- AGENT look up translate image
- A person who has received the power to act on behalf of another, binding that other person as if he or she were themselves making the decisions.
- ALEATORY CONTRACT look up translate image
- Civil law: a contract which depends on an uncertain event.
- ALLONGE look up translate image
- A piece of paper which has been attached to a contract, a check or any promissory note, on which to add signatures because there is not enough room on the main document.
- AMENDMENT look up translate image
- A document by which significant changes are made to the terms of an executed co ntract. Chang es requ irin g an amendment include, but are not limited to adjustments in costs, services, time period, and method of payment. The amendment is incorporated as part of the original contract.
- ANIMUS CONTRAHENDI look up translate image
- Latin: an intention to contract.
- ANTEDATE look up translate image
- To date back; retroactively.
- ANTICHRESIS look up translate image
- Civil law: the pledge of real property as security for a debt.
- ANTICIPATORY BREACH look up translate image
- When a party to a contract receives an indication from the other party that they intend on not performing their contractual obligations.
- ARBITRATION look up translate image
- Arbitration clauses set up provisions whereby independent and binding arbitrators settle contractual disputes.
- ARREARS look up translate image
- A debt that is not paid on the due date adds up and accumulates in arrears.
- AS IS look up translate image
- That a product is sold in the condition in which it then exists.
- ASSIGN look up translate image
- To sell, give or otherwise transfer some legal right or responsibility to another.
- ASSUMPSIT look up translate image
- Medieval era action for breach of contract.
- ATTACHMENT I look up translate image
- The unique, program-specific part of a contract that contains the statement of work for each provider including services to be provided, manner of service provision, method of payment, and special provisions.
- AUDIT TRAIL look up translate image
- A recorded flow of transactions from initiation to finalization with supporting documentation to justify each transaction.
- BAD FAITH look up translate image
- Intent to deceive. A person who intentionally tries to deceive or mislead another in order to gain some advantage.
- BAILEE look up translate image
- The person who receives property through a contract of bailment, from the bailor, and who may be committed to certain duties of care towards the property while it remains in his or her possession.
- BAILMENT look up translate image
- The transfer of possession of something (by the bailor) to another person (called the bailee) for some temporary purpose (eg. repair or storage) after which the property is either returned to the bailor or otherwise disposed of in accordance with the contract of bailment.
- BAILOR look up translate image
- The person who temporarily transfers possession of property to another, the bailee, under a contract of bailment.
- BATTLE OF THE FORMS look up translate image
- Two persons intending to contract but tendering differing form contracts rendering the conclusion as to the terms of the contract, or a determination as to whether there was a contract, difficult.
- BEST VALUE look up translate image
- The highest overall value to the procuring agency based on objective factors determined by the p rocuring ag ency.
- BID OPENING CLERK look up translate image
- The individual charged with the responsibility of receiving, logging, and opening bids.
- BIDDER look up translate image
- See Offeror.
- BIDDERS' CONFERENCE look up translate image
- See Offerors' Conference
- BLUE-PENCIL SEVERANCE look up translate image
- Striking out an offending part of a legal document, such as a contract or a statute.
- BOILERPLATE look up translate image
- Standard contract clauses use universal language as a type of template. Usually found at the end of a contract, boilerplate clauses include arbitration clauses, entire agreement clauses, and force majeure clauses.
- BREACH look up translate image
- When one party of the contract accuses the other party of not following the terms of the contract. The statute of limitations for breach of contract is four years if written, but only two years if oral.
- BREACH OF CONTRACT look up translate image
- A condition that results from the failure of a party to a contract to abide by all material terms or conditions of the contract such that one party loses the value of its bargain with the other party. Breach is a sufficient condition for contract termination but not an automatic reason.
- BUDGET look up translate image
- A plan that outlines expected revenues and expenditures.
- CALL FOR TENDERS look up translate image
- A property owner's invitation, sometimes at large, sometimes to a select group, for bids to complete a particular project.
- CAVEAT EMPTOR look up translate image
- Let the buyer beware or that the buyers should examine and check for themselves things which they intend to purchase and that they cannot later hold the vendor responsible for the broken condition of the thing bought.
- CERTAINTY OF TERMS look up translate image
- A legal requirement of a valid offer to contract; that it must be precise and definite in order to be subject to acceptance.
- CERTIFICATION OF ASSURANCES look up translate image
- A wri tten and signed list of performance requirements and business conditions to which the potential vendor agrees to be bound.
- CERTIFICATION REGARDING DEBARMENT AND SUSPENSION look up translate image
- See the definition of Debarment and Suspension, Certification Regarding.
- CERTIFIED MINORITY BUSINESS ENTERPRISE look up translate image
- A minority-owned business which has been certified by the certifying organization or jurisdiction in accordance with subsection 287.0943, F.S.
- CHIROGRAPH look up translate image
- A medieval form of contract which allowed for several verifiable authentic versions.
- CHOICE OF LAW CLAUSE look up translate image
- A term of a contract which sets the jurisdiction for dispute resolution, or the applicable law, in the event of any dispute between the conrtracting parties.
- CIF look up translate image
- Transportation contract acronym for "cost, insurance and freight" usually in reference to the sale price being inclusive thereof.
- CIVIL CODE look up translate image
- A document in civil law jurisdictions that purports to be a compendium of the applicable law as it pertains to the citizen.
|Number of terms
Contract Law Dictionary
www.duhaime.orgGlossary of Common Contract Terms | Company Activities & Management > Contracts & Bids from AllBusiness.com
Every contract contains an offer, acceptance, and consideration. Find out what these and other contractual terms mean by browsing through this list of key contract definitions.Glossary of Contracting-Related Terms | Acquisition Management | US EPA
"Legal Terms of : 341 meeting, a fortiori, a.k.a., A/B Trust, abandon
Search for a legal terminology within : 341 meeting, a fortiori, a.k.a., A/B Trust, abandon. Legal dictionary and law definitions by Legal HelpmateLegal Terms of Contract Drafting, Review & Negotiation: anticipatory breach, breach, breach of contract, contract, contractor
Search for a legal terminology within Contract Drafting, Review & Negotiation Contracts: anticipatory breach, breach, breach of contract, contract, contractor. Legal dictionary and law definitions by Legal Helpmate