Back to Top
Items 1→50 of 664. Page 1 of 14.
- ABERRATION OF STARLIGHT look up translate image
- The angular shift in the apparent direction of a star caused by the orbital motion of the Earth
- ABSOLUTE MAGNITUDE look up translate image
- The apparent magnitude a star would have if it were at a distance of 10 parsecs (pc)
- ABSORPTION LINE look up translate image
- A dark line superimposed on a continuous spectrum when a gas absorbs light from a continuous source that is hotter than the absorbing gas
- ACCELERATION look up translate image
- The rate of change of velocity. An acceleration may involve a change of speed, direction of motion, or both
- ACCELERATION OF GRAVITY look up translate image
- The acceleration of a body, equal to 9.8 meters per second per second (m/s2), caused by the force of gravity near the surface of the Earth
- ACCRETION look up translate image
- The growth in the mass of a body by the infall of matter gravitationally attracted to the body
- ACCRETION DISK look up translate image
- A disk of gas and dust spiraling inward toward a star or toward the nucleus of a galaxy
- ACCRETIONAL HEATING look up translate image
- The heating of a body by the impacts that occur as it grows by adding infalling material
- ACHONDRITE look up translate image
- A stony meteorite lacking chondrules
- ACTIVE GALACTIC NUCLEUS look up translate image
- The nucleus of an active galaxy
- ACTIVE GALAXY look up translate image
- A galaxy whose nucleus is unusually bright and small. Seyfert galaxies, BL Lacertae objects, and quasars are examples of active galaxies
- ACTIVE REGION look up translate image
- A region of the Sun's surface layers that has a large magnetic field and in which sunspots, flares, and prominences preferentially occur
- ADAPTIVE OPTICS look up translate image
- A system for modifying the shape of the mirror of a telescope to compensate for atmospheric seeing and to produce sharp images
- ADJUSTED CALCULATION DATE look up translate image
- The day on which the planetary positions shown in the ephemeris coincide with the progressed positions of the planets. The ACD stays the same year to year.
- AE AND BE STARS look up translate image
- Pre-main sequence stars more massive than 3 solar masses
- AEROSOL look up translate image
- Liquid droplets and solids suspended in the atmosphere of a planet or satellite
- AESTHENOSPHERE look up translate image
- A layer of plastic, deformable rock located in the upper mantle of a planet directly below the lithosphere
- AFFLICTION look up translate image
- An tension producing aspect in the chart such as a square, semi-square or quincunx.Astrological age. A period of time that is approximately 2150 years. It represents the time necessary for the vernal equinox to retrograde through the 30 degrees of any one of the constellations. Astrologers generally believe that the earth is now moving from the Age of Pisces into the Age of Aquarius.
- AIR SIGNS look up translate image
- The mental signs; Gemini, Libra and Aquarius.
- ALBEDO look up translate image
- The ratio of the light reflected in all directions by a surface to the light incident on it. A perfectly reflecting surface has an albedo of 1, a perfectly absorbing surface has an albedo of 0
- ALPHA PARTICLE look up translate image
- The nucleus of a helium atom, consisting of two protons and two neutrons
- ALTITUDE look up translate image
- The angular distance between the direction to an object and the horizon. Altitude ranges from 0 degrees for an object on the horizon to 90 degrees for an object directly overhead
- AMINO ACID look up translate image
- A carbon-based molecule from which protein molecules are assembled
- AMOR ASTEROID look up translate image
- A member of a class of asteroids having orbits that cross the orbital distance of the Earth
- ANGLES look up translate image
- Angles refer to the four points of the horoscope chart which divides the chart into 4 equal parts. These are the Ascendant, The Midheaven, the Descendent and the Immum Coeli. The planets situated close to the angles are particularly influential.
- ANGULAR HOUSES look up translate image
- Angular houses are similar to the Cardinal signs. These are the 1st, 4th, 7th, and 10th houses.
- ANGULAR MOMENTUM look up translate image
- The momentum of a body associated with its rotation or revolution. For a body in a circular orbit, angular momentum is the product of orbital distance, orbital speed, and mass. When two bodies collide or interact, angular momentum is conserved
- ANNIHILATION look up translate image
- The mutual destruction of a matter-antimatter pair of particles. The charges on the two particles cancel and the mass of the particles is entirely converted to energy
- ANNULAR ECLIPSE look up translate image
- A solar eclipse in which the Moon is too far from the Earth to block the entire Sun from view and a thin ring of sunlight appears around the Moon
- ANTAPEX look up translate image
- The direction in the sky away from which the Sun is moving. Because of the Sun's motion, nearby stars appear to converge toward the antapex
- ANTIMATTER look up translate image
- A type of matter which annihilates ordinary matter on contact. For every particle, there is a corresponding antimatter particle. For example, the antimatter counterpart of the proton is the antiproton
- APEX look up translate image
- The direction in the sky toward which the Sun is moving. Because of the Sun's motion, nearby stars appear to diverge from the apex
- APHELION look up translate image
- The point in the orbit of a solar system body where it is farthest from the Sun
- APOLLO ASTEROID look up translate image
- A member of a class of asteroids having orbits that cross the orbital distance of the Earth
- APPARENT BRIGHTNESS look up translate image
- The observed brightness of a celestial body
- APPARENT MAGNITUDE look up translate image
- The observed magnitude of a celestial body
- APPARENT MOTION look up translate image
- this is the motion of any heavenly body as viewed from Earth when measured geocentrically versus their actual movements (heliocentric). Planets appear to rise over the horizon, but in fact are actually moving in the opposite direction around the sun.
- APPARENT SOLAR DAY look up translate image
- The amount of time that passes between successive appearances of the Sun on the meridian. The apparent solar day varies in length throughout the year
- APPARENT SOLAR TIME look up translate image
- Time kept according to the actual position of the Sun in the sky. Apparent solar noon occurs when the Sun crosses an observer's meridian
- APPLYING AND SEPARATING (ASPECTS) look up translate image
- whenever two planets are just about to form an aspect, the faster moving planet is said to be applying. As the two planets move away from the exact aspect they are called; separating.
- ARACHNOID look up translate image
- A circular feature on the surface of Venus connected to other similar features by a web of fractures
- ARC look up translate image
- A distance between two points on a circle.
- ASCENDANT look up translate image
- The sign degree rising over the eastern horizon at the time of birth. Each degree stays on the horizon approximately 4 minutes.
- ASCENDING NODE look up translate image
- The point in the Moon's orbit where it crosses the ecliptic from south to north
- ASCENSION look up translate image
- (short and long.) Signs of long ascension take more time to rise than signs of short ascension. Depending on the obliquity of the ecliptic, some zodiac signs rise over the horizon more rapidly than other signs. The signs of long ascension In the Northern Hemisphere, are Cancer, Leo, Virgo, Libra, Scorpio and Sagittarius. Cancer, Leo, Virgo, Libra, Scorpio and Sagittarius are signs of short ascension, South of the equator.
- ASPECT look up translate image
- An aspect is an angular interconnection between horoscope factors. The aspects usually considered are those involving planets and house cusps. Aspects are deemed to be either favorable or unfavorable according to the temperament of the planets involved and the number of degrees separating the planets.
- ASSOCIATION look up translate image
- A group of stars whose gravity is insufficient to hold it together but has not yet had time to disperse
- ASTEROID look up translate image
- Asteroids are thought to be remains of smashed planets. An asteroid is a very small " planet" in a band that revolves around the Sun between Mars and Jupiter.
- ASTEROID BELT look up translate image
- The region of the solar system lying between 2.1 and 3.3 astronomical units (AU) from the Sun. The great majority of asteroids are found in the asteroid belt
- ASTROLOGER look up translate image
- A person who studies and practices the art of astrology.
|Number of terms
Astrology Glossary of Terms, Meaning of Astrology Terms, Astrology Words and Their Meanings . . .
Astrology, FREE Horoscopes, Weekly - Monthly - Yearly Horoscopes, Astrology Charts, Love Signs, Rising Sign Calculator, Retrograde Motion, Twelve Houses, Yod, Kite, Grand Trine, Grand Square, T-square, Moon Signs . . . Astrology on the Web: Glossary of Astrological Terms, the Dictionary for Astrology
Astrology on the Web Astrological Glossary, a comprehensive dictionary of astrological terms, from A to Z. This is the first sector of the glossary, covering the letter A. Use this glossary just like a dictionary to look up the meanings of words you come across on this website, or in your astrological reading.Astrology Terminology Dictionary
www.skyviewzone.comAstrology: glossary A-L
glossary of astrology and horoscope terms A to LAstrology: Glossary of astrological terms and Divination names: M-Glossary
Free Astrology and Horoscopes from findyourfate.com! The ultimate glossary for astrology, horoscopes, horary astrology,love astrology, zodiac signs, compatibility death and more.Glossary of Astrological Terms
glossary of astrological termsGlossary of Astronomical Terms
Glossary of Astronomical TermsGordon Dipple - Astrology - Dictionary of Terms