A hub of online professional and topical glossaries/dictionaries
Items 1→50 of 413. Page 1 of 9. items/page.
"CHEAT"  look up translate image
When the camera is set up for a second shot at a different angle it is possible to move things around a little to improve the new composition, the difference in perspective and angle of the two shots hiding the fact that things are not exactly in the same place. Both actors and furniture on the set can be cheated. The term is often used as cheating something "into" a shot or "out of" a shot, as in telling an actor "We're going to cheat you in a little," and having them stand a little to one side so more of them is in the shot.
"MARK IT!"  look up translate image
What to say to the person with the slate to get them to clap the sticks together.
"SAFETY"  look up translate image
An additional take, done after a successful one, as a backup.
"SECOND STICKS!"  look up translate image
If the clapper on the slate was not visible when the shot was being marked the camera person might call out "second sticks!" to tell the person with the slate to mark it a second time.
"SPEED!"  look up translate image
This is what the cameraperson or sound recordist will call out to acknowledge that they are rolling. It comes from the days when it took a few seconds for certain equipment to reach proper speed.
"UNPROFESSIONAL"  look up translate image
An insult hurled at someone during a crisis when they have broken some unwritten rule of professional conduct. Commonly the term is used with the most frequency by people to whom it would just as easily apply.
180 RULE  look up translate image
This is the rule which states that if two people are filmed in a sequence there is an invisible line between them and the camera should only be positioned anywhere within the 180 degrees on one side of the line. Crossing the line results in a certain particular jump, where is appears that the two people suddenly switched places.
3,200K  look up translate image
3,200K is the color temperature of Tungsten.
5,400K  look up translate image
is the color temperature of Daylight.
A WRAP OR "IT'S A WRAP!"  look up translate image
What to say when you are done shooting, either for the day, at that particular set, or on the entire film. Usually if it's not the final shoot you would say you are just going to "wrap for the day."
A-WIND AND B-WIND  look up translate image
This is the emulsion position of the film. There are two possibilities, just as there are two sides to a piece of film. Camera original is B-Wind. A print struck from it will be A-Wind. This is because film is printed emulsion against emulsion.

To tell if a piece of film is A-Wind or B-Wind hold it up with the emulsion facing you. If it is A-Wind the image will read correctly, if it is B-Wind it will be mirror image. A-Wind and B-Wind material usually cannot be mixed, unless you don’t mind...(more)
A.D.R.  look up translate image
Automated Dialogue Recording. This is just Dubbing, done in addition to or as a substitution for Location Sound. The term A.D.R., being something of a mysterious acronym, has a certain appeal, as it obscures the fact that dubbing was involved when it appears in the credits of your film. This might have something to do with the current prevalence of the term.
A.S.A.  look up translate image
This is the sensitivity to light of a particular type of film. It is the specific number used to measure Film Speed. It is the same as I.E. and I.S.O. A.S.A. stands for American Standards Association, the organization that standardized the scale of measurement of film speed.
A&B ROLLS  look up translate image
The negative of an edited film, cut to correspond to picture, built into 2 rolls, A and B, to allow for invisible splices, instant changes of the timing lights and fades and dissolves without the need for opticals. The A roll will have all the odd numbered shots, with black leader in place of all the missing shots. The B roll will have all the even numbered shots, with black leader in place of all the shots on the A roll. The negative is printed in three passes through the contact printer, one for...(more)
ACADEMY APERTURE  look up translate image
In 35mm this is the full frame exposed by the camera, with an aspect ratio of 1.33. When the film is projected there is a mask in the projector's gate to change the aspect ratio to 1.85 or 1.66, cropping the top and bottom of the image. Older films were not shot to be masked and should be projected without a mask. The Academy Aperture is sometimes called the Full Academy Aperture.
ACADEMY LEADER  look up translate image
This is standard countdown leader, counting down 8 to 3 and then with one frame of 2, at which point there is a single frame beep on the sound track. It is used at the beginning of a film for the lab to line up sound (using the beep) and later for the projectionist to know when to turn on the lamp and hopefully not miss the opening of the film. A common mistake is to count the footage from the 2, but actually frame zero is the one right before the first 8, a single frame with the words "Picture Start." Academy Leader is sometimes also known as S.M.P.T.E. leader.
AERIAL SHOT  look up translate image
A shot taken from a crane, plane, or helicopter. Not necessarily a moving shot.
ANAMORPHIC  look up translate image
A method of creating a wide screen image with standard film, using a special lens on the camera and projector that compresses the width of the image that is exposed on the film and then expands it when projected.
ANSWER PRINT  look up translate image
This is the first corrected print made from the A&B Rolls, printed with the optical track. It is sometimes called a married print because it is the first time that picture and sound are wed together on the same piece of print stock. If you are not overly optimistic about the results of the timing, you can call this the First Answer Print. When there are further corrections in timing the next print is known as the Second Answer Print, followed by a Third Answer Print and so on.
APERTURE  look up translate image
This is the same as the Iris.
APPLE BOX  look up translate image
This is a wooden box, often helpful on the set to raise up equipment, for the cameraperson to stand on if the tripod is up very high etc. Often you will find them used as seats by the less involved participants. There are also half apples and quarter apples, which as you might expect, are half and one quarter as thick respectively.
ARM  look up translate image
A metal rod that is attached to a C-Stand which can extend off to the side.
ASPECT RATIO  look up translate image
The proportions of the frame. In 16mm and 35mm the camera photographs a slightly square image, with an aspect ratio of 1.33 to 1. Aspect Ratios are usually shorted to leave out the "- to 1," taking for granted that it will always be in relation to 1, an so "1.33 to 1" can just be called "1.33" In 35mm 1.33 is known as the Academy Aperture. In 35mm the image is usually shot with the Academy Aperture and then masked in the projector to produce a wider image: 1.85 in the U.S. and 1.66 in Europe.
BACKLIGHTING  look up translate image
The main source of light is behind the subject, silhouetting it, and directed toward the camera.
BACKWIND  look up translate image
Rewinding film in the camera to shoot a Double Exposure.
BALANCE STRIPE  look up translate image
A second stripe found on 35mm stripe mag stock and super-8 sound film to prevent warping.
BARNDOORS  look up translate image
Handy blinders on the sides of lights that can be used to keep light from going everywhere. They can also be used to clip on a lighting gel. They get very hot when a light is on, so it is best to wear work gloves when adjusting them.
BARNEY  look up translate image
A quilted cozy that fits around a camera to reduce camera noise. Generally it is only effective on a camera that is pretty quiet to begin with. The term comes from barney blanket, a kind of horse blanket.
BASE  look up translate image
Film has two basic elements: The base is the clear, perforated strip, and the emulsion is the thin, light-sensitive layer that is glued onto it.
BAYONET  look up translate image
A type of lens mount commonly used with heavier lenses, such as zoom lenses. In contrast to screw-mount lenses, bayonet lenses are attached to the camera with a locking mechanism. Bayonet lenses can typically be changed much faster than screw-mount lenses.
BEST LIGHT  look up translate image
Similar to a One Light, but by implication, the timer has gone through the film more thoroughly in selecting a timing light that will agree with the majority of the footage.
BIN  look up translate image
see Trim Bin.
Black leader is black, opaque film, often specifially called black emulsion leader. It is what the negative cutter uses when preparing A&B rolls. It is very important that it be emulsion leader rather than plastic leader when used for A&B rolls, since plastic leader cannot be cement spliced. It also must be very opaque, not any black piece of film will do.
BLIMP  look up translate image
A fiberglass housing used to encase a noisy camera to make it suitable for sync sound filming.
BLIMPED CAMERA OR SELF  look up translate image
Blimped Camera - The term is used not to mean a camera in a blimp, but a camera that is designed with internal soundproofing without the need for an external blimp. For instance, with an Arri BL the "BL" stands for "blimped."
BLOW DOWN  look up translate image
The actual term for the opposite of a blow up is a Reduction Print, but this term has been coined by Colorlab in Rockville, Maryland, for a reduction print made from super 16mm to regular 16mm, as an alternative to the much more expensive process of blowing up super 16mm to 35mm.
BLOW UP  look up translate image
An optical enlargement of a film from one gauge to another, such as 16mm up to 35mm. The opposite of a blow up is a Reduction Print.
BOLEX  look up translate image
One of the more widely used 16mm non-sync cameras, it is made in Switzerland by the Paillard Company. There are many varieties, non-reflex, reflex, springwound and electric motor driven. But when someone says "Bolex," typically they mean a reflex, springwound model, such as the Rex-4.
BOUNCE CARD  look up translate image
A white or silver card used for soft indirect lighting of the subject by bouncing light off the card. Can also be used to provide a gentle brightening of shadow areas. Especially out-of-doors as it does not require power.
BRACKETING  look up translate image
The filming of several takes of the same shot at different f-stops to achieve the desired result. Usually this technique is applied to shooting titles much more than anything else. (It is a good idea to film a few frames of black in-between, since it is sometimes difficult to tell where the camera was stopped.)
BRIDGING SHOT  look up translate image
A shot used to cover a jump in time or place or other discontinuity. Examples are falling calendar pages railroad wheels newspaper headlines seasonal changes
C.R.  look up translate image
Abbreviation for Camera Roll.
C.T.B.  look up translate image
C.T.B. stands for Color Temperature Blue. This is an abbreviation for the color correction gels used in lighting to convert the color temperature from tungsten to daylight. They come in gradients: Quarter Blue, Half Blue, Full Blue.
C.T.O.  look up translate image
C.T.O. stands for Color Temperature Orange. This is an abbreviation for the color correction gels used in lighting to convert the color temperature from daylight to tungsten. They come in gradients: Quarter Orange, Half Orange, Full Orange.
CABLE SYNC  look up translate image
A somewhat archaic method of sync sound shooting, where a cable runs from a Pilottone generator in the camera to the tape recorder.
CAMERA ANGLE  look up translate image
The angle at which the camera is pointed at the subject: Low High Tilt
CAMERA CORE  look up translate image
A 2 inch Core.
CAMERA NOISE  look up translate image
The sound of the camera running. Even supposedly quiet cameras will make some noise.
CAMERA ORIGINAL  look up translate image
A slightly more adamant way of saying Original.
CAMERA REPORTS  look up translate image
A form of paperwork used to log shots and takes and put down any notes either to the lab or for future organization in the editing stage. There is generally one camera report per camera roll. Camera reports can be used to communicate specific timing requests to the lab (for instance, if a shot if lit with unusual color gels, this can be noted to let the timer know not to correct the color). Camera reports are extremely helpful to analyze any problem with the footage, since they provides a written...(more)
first prev Page of 9 next last
Back to Top
Film terms
Visibility Public
Created by admin
Created on 2011-05-01 21:04:10
Number of terms 413
Last added None
  • Basic Glossary of Film Terms
  • Film Terms Glossary - Dictionary
  • Glossary of Film Terms
  • IMDb | Movie Terminology Glossary
    IMDb: The biggest, best, most award-winning movie site on the planet.