Back to Top
Items 1→9 of 9. Page 1 of 1.
- CAPITAL OFFENSE look up translate image
- In Missouri, the commission of murder in the first degree, i.e., killing another person with deliberation, is punishable by a sentence of death, or life imprisonment without the possibility of probation or parole.
- CHARGE look up translate image
- A formal accusation filed by the prosecutor's office that a specific person has committed a specific crime; also referred to as "pressing charges."
- CIRCUIT COURT look up translate image
- In Missouri, the Circuit Court has jurisdiction in criminal matters over all felonies.
- COMPLAINT look up translate image
- A preliminary charge made by the state that a person has committed a specified offense.
- CONCURRENT SENTENCES look up translate image
- Running together -- concurrent sentences run, or are served, at the same time.
- CONSECUTIVE SENTENCES look up translate image
- Sentences run one after the other.
- CONTINUANCE look up translate image
- A delay or postponement of a court hearing; the case is said to be "continued" when it has been delayed or postponed. A case can be continued for good cause, such as illness or witness unavailability, or by agreement of the parties.
- CONVICTION look up translate image
- A judgment of the court, based either on the decision of a jury or judge that the defendant is guilty of the crime for which he or she was tried.
- CRIME look up translate image
- A violation of the law.
|Number of terms
20 Criminal Terms You Should Know
The concept of crime varies from time to time and from place to place. Here are some terms used to describe some different types of crime in the U.S.Criminal Background Records Glossary - Criminal Justice Terms and Definitions - Criminal Records Glossary
Criminal Background Records Glossary: Appellate Court, Arrest, Arson, Assault, Battery, Blackmail, Burglary, Circuit Courts, Conviction, Attorney, Sentence, Weapon, Defendant,Delinquency, Extortion, Felony, Fine, Fraud, Guilty, Homicide, Illicit, Injunction, Intoxication, Kidnapping, Juvenile, Larceny, Manslaughter, Magistrate, Murder, Negligence, Warrant, Parole, Perjury, Rape, Probation, TheftCRIMINAL JUSTICE TERMS
mova.missouri.orgGlossary of Michigan Criminal Terms --- Michigan Prosecuting Attorneys Coordinating Council
Legal glossary ... Michigan Prosecuting Attorneys Coordinating Council; 116 W. Ottawa, Ste 200; Lansing, MI, USA 48933